Dr. Michael J. Palliser

Podiatric Physician & Surgeon



Foot Care FAQs

Who should I see for my foot or ankle problem?
Podiatrists are physicians who specialize in disorders of the foot and ankle. Having had advanced training, they can diagnose and treat your disorders using state of the art treatment modalities.

When should I buy shoes?
As your feet/ankles may swell during the day it is best to purchase your shoes in the late afternoon or evening. Always have your feet measured when getting shoes. Don't assume you will wear the same size/width shoe as you did in your teens.

I run for exercise. How often should I replace my running shoes?
A good rule of thumb is to change your running footwear every 300-500 miles. Heavier runners should replace their shoes closer to the 300 mile mark while lighter runners can stretch shoe mileage closer to the 500 mile range. If you run 20 or so per week, you should replace you shoes every three to four months.

What's causing the pain under the balls of my feet?
Metatarsalgia, or pain under the ball of the foot, can be caused by many things including torn ligaments, injured nerves, inflamed joints, or a small facture. See your podiatrist to find the cause of your pain and begin to get on the road to recovery.

I have orthotics. How often to I need to have these replaced?
After about a yeaer and a half, orthotics lose their shape, stiffness, hence, their function of properly supporting the foot. Heavier or more active individuals may find their otrhotics wearing sooner. Your orthotics may be wearing out if you begin to notice your feet becoming more tired or your foot pain returns.

Is there a solution for dry and cracked heels?
The problem of dry and cracked heels is usually hereditary. This problem will never just go away, however you doctor can help treat and control the problem. If your heel is cracked and bleeding, it is important to see a podiatrist as any open wound can become infected. If you are dealing only with dryness and cracking, applying a good moisturizing cream at least twice a day, and sleeping with socks on at night (after applying the cream) will help soften your skin. After softening the dry skin, you can use a pumice stone to remove the flaked off skin.

If these solutions do not work, your podiatrist has several prescription cream options that can be prescribed for your condition.

What kind of health insurance do you accept?
We take many kinds of insurance. Please call our office at 847-692-3700 to inquire about the specifics on the insurance plans we take.

Where is your office located?
Dr. Palliser's office is located in the Chicago suburbs in Park Ridge, IL at 2 W. Talcott Rd., Park Ridge, IL 60068. Click here to view a map.